Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Yahoo! Widgets

So I figured that I could begin reviewing electronics that I buy and various software titles that I find useful to me or just cool is fine, too.

To start with, I humbly offer you the Yahoo! Widget Engine. I know what you are thinking, "Wes, are you out of your mind? All those things do is eat up your system resources!" I would fully agree with you on most occasions, but these are a little better.

For starters, I found the Yahoo! Widget Engine (formerly Konfabulator) offered not only a huge array of widgets to choose from, but also offers the ability to create of tweak (programming skillz required) widgets to your liking! Most I find very useful, especially the iTunes companion which can automatically add album art to your iTunes music library (extremely annoying and repetitive to do manually).

If you only have a small amount of system resources to spare, then these widgets most likely aren't for you. But most are very nicely designed and their appeal is 9 / 10 in aesthetics. Having 2GB of physical memory in my computer makes the decision to use these very easy.

Yahoo! Widget Engine | 87% Approval
Pros: Neat, Useful | Cons: Can hog resources

No comments: